Translate

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Math foldables...

In my 7th grade math class, I've watched this week as the class has worked on little foldables of math rules to paste into their math notebooks.  The school had a funky schedule with 1/2 the classes meeting every other day because of conferences, so I had time to go home and think about the foldables before the other 1/2 of the classes did them the next day.  The exercise of making the foldables is just cutting and pasting and coloring. There was no discussion of the rules in the math book during this class session, though there was on the days before and after, and I didn't see the value of the foldables.


But then I went home and read some math teacher blogs about the foldables.  The teachers love them!  Here's a link to one teacher's math blog with foldables. I still didn't understand why though.  What math learning objective did this cutting and pasting serve?

Right-side up pic coming soon...
So, the next day in math, I went around and asked the kids.

The kids love them. They like the craftsy aspect of it.  One kid said it reminded him of elementary school, but he said it in a fond way. "But does it help with math?" I asked. They said absolutely, they helped a lot.  As they do problems, they find themselves referring to them all the time.  After class I asked the teacher and she said the same thing.  Before she started doing them, it never occurred to the kids to look back at their notes to figure out how to solve a problem.  She would remind them, but they were unconvinced.  My interpretation is that the kids value the booklets because they've created them, and so are more likely to look back at them than they are to info they've just copied from the board.

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting how this "arts and crafts" method got the students to actually refer to their notes. I wonder if the content of their notes was also reinforced just by the act of having to create the foldable. I can learn from your questioning of this activity and really searching for its value. There have been things I have questioned in the classroom and then later thought, "Oh, that is why the teacher did that!" and others that I am still pondering. I will continue to question and search.

    ReplyDelete