Translate

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Keeping whole group instruction short in math...

I taught several math classes in the last few weeks at my placement, with the last one officially observed by my CT. 

The primary feedback of my CT was to spend less time on whole group instruction. She advocated moving swiftly to small group instruction, and delivering the bulk of the content there.  I'm uneasy with this because it means leaving the 3rd of 5 small groups with 20-30 minutes of independent work when they may not have the content knowledge to do it.  (Groups 4 & 5 probably could).

For the next time I teach, I'm wondering about keeping whole group instruction short, but having a stack of hint cards for the problems that kids could pull from.  I'd like to have the kids create hint cards themselves once they understand the concept.  Perhaps this might get to the application or analysis level of Bloom's taxonomy (applying the concept to a new problem, and analyzing what's important?).  The hint cards could be used later with absent students, or for the following year...

Part of the math lesson:  to make an equivalent fraction game.  Here's one:



No comments:

Post a Comment