Translate

Friday, May 3, 2013

Creative teaching with best intentions vs Risk Management



        Last week’s 405 class about legal issues happened in the midst of my family’s school and risk management story.  It’s not a dramatic story, and everything has worked out fine, but it’s certainly an example of how a teacher can be trying to do something interesting and creative with the best of intentions but run into risk management problems.
My daughter is 12, in 6th grade, and goes to a small public choice school.  This spring, one of her teachers has been doing a careers unit.  Each student spent several weeks  of class time researching the career they wanted to go into – finding out about training, and job conditions and salary etc , and it was all to culminate in a day spent jobshadowing someone  in that field.
                My daughter wants to be a pastry chef.  Families were encouraged to make use of friends in the career of interest, but the teacher also sent an email to all the parents in the school soliciting contacts in the various careers.  Our family does not know anyone who is a pastry chef, or a baker, or even in the food business. 
                But one day my daughter came home with a piece of paper with the name of a couple who runs a bakery, an email address, and instructions to “show some initiative” and contact them to set up a jobshadowing time.  I was a bit hesitant about her using her own email address to contact them, but since my husband and I  still monitor that account, we had her go ahead.  The couple never answered the email, and my daughter followed up, but still with no reply.  Then,  even though it went against the instruction of my daughter showing initiative, my husband stopped by the bakery to inquire.  The woman at the bakery wasn’t very enthusiastic, but it was arranged that my daughter would go in one morning at 4am to shadow the two bakers, who were men. 
                And at this point my husband and I began to get a bit uncomfortable with the whole arrangement.  No information had come home for parents about exactly what the jobshadowing expectation was, but the sense we were getting was that we were expected to drop my daughter off for her to negotiate her own way through the experience.  And we didn’t really like the idea of dropping her off at  4am with 2 people we had never met.  So we emailed the teacher to ask what she knew about the bakery – if they were personal friends, or were part of a vocational training program, or parents from the school.  We were just looking for a bit of reassurance.
                The teacher didn’t know anything about them.  And at that point, she must have realized that she should have shared her plans with a wider audience.  She spoke to the principal, and they together spoke to risk management.  We very quickly got an email from the principal making it clear that the jobshadowing would be at our discretion, and that the official assignment was now just a written report on the career. 
                In the meantime, we had asked around and gotten a friendly report on the bakery, they had finally answered dauaghter’s emails in friendly, businesslike way, and the door seemed open for my husband to stay on site during the jobshadow.  And my daughter was excited to do it. So we planned to go ahead with it.  The night before, we got a call from the teacher, who I suspect had the risk management office on her back, saying that while at the bakery, my daughter was not to touch anything.  She could observe and take pictures, but not go near any equipment or ovens or knives etc.  My daughter has a good head on her shoulders, and we told her of course she could help as much as they asked, unless it was something she was uncomfortable with.
                This morning she and my husband went for the jobshadow.  The bakers were fantastic, and my daughter  had a great time.  She braided the challah loaves.  The bakers were professional but also friendly.  She truly did get a sense of the middle of the night hard work of professional baking.  It was a great educational experience, but also certainly one which had the district risk manager sweating a bit, not to mention my husband and I until we figured out a way to take some uncertainty out of the situation by staying on site.  The experience leaves me wondering if it’s possible to teach a jobshadowing unit  in such a way that risk management would give its approval.  Perhaps with more communication with parents, and with the explicit requirement/expectation stated up front that both a parent and the child would go on the jobshadow.  But always check with the risk manager first!

               

No comments:

Post a Comment