Translate

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Where I'm From


I am from stacks of papers,
from stoneware vases with celadon glaze,
from computers humming and beckoning
with knowledge of everything.

I am from neglected rose bushes that prosper,
and wildflowers that don’t,
From a lilac bush that gladdens me every spring,
With its sweet fresh smell after winter.

I am from squeaky dog toys,
left in the yard on rainy nights,
by the big serious dog,
and from autumn leaves dragged in,
by the little monkey dog.

I am from Lily, as she is from me,
and from Brian,
and from Phyl and Aunt Ruth,
and a surburb of NYC.

I am from Okey, bedokey, Gemini smokey,
and pizza, lasagna,
and marzipan
and look:
Isn’t that Dan Boone?
No?  Well, there you go…

I am from these moments,
in a house in the tree tops
amid singing birds and gray clouds,
but still
I’m not.

No comments:

Post a Comment