Translate

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Math exit tickets...

In order to understand more about what students were understanding and not, I have started using an exit ticket in math.  The first part gives answers to the in-class work, and asks them to correct their work.  The second part asks them how well they feel they understand the learning target, and the third part is a followup problem or two.

So far it as given me good information for instruction for the higher level learners in math.  I can review their answers to the followup problem while they're putting away their math book, and have a 5 second conversation with them if they made a mistake.  They quickly understand the mistake, and the feedback is close to immediate.  They also like the opportunity to check their work - and this is usually positive feedback for them.

The students who struggle more tend not to check their work, so I don't have feedback on how far they got, or which ones they got right or wrong.   Since my CT does not use the sheets, there may be some misunderstanding about the expectations.  Also because I want them to check their work with the textbook open (so they can see the original problem), they are tempted to keep on with the assigned problem solving. 

So the exit ticket is so far less helpful for me in figuring out how to help the struggling students.  There is also the difficulty that they probably need more help than the 10 second interaction with the non-struggling students, but my CT keeps closely to the pacing guide.  And, she and I alternate math lessons, so I don't plan the next days lesson when I have taught.

All this will change in spring quarter.  I'll be doing more teaching, and I'll tweak my exit tickets.



No comments:

Post a Comment