Translate

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Student voice

I am struggling in my placement to figure out group work and student voice, but occasionally something goes really right, so there is hope.

A couple weeks ago, I taught a literacy lesson on writing a thank you note.  The kids had been away for 3 days to an outdoor education camp, and the lesson was the write thank you notes to the parent chaperones.  I structured my lesson straight out of Routman, and had a skeleton letter and lots of support.

I started the lesson by putting a huge piece of contruction paper at each table group, and asking the table group to jot down their favorite memories, and then we posted the posters around the room to inspire and remind everyone of the details of the trip. At that point, the kids were hooked.  Everyone at the table group participated.  Their was no differentiation in status or falling into expected roles.  The kids validated each other's memories, and added on, and had fun. 

Another part of group work and student voice, that I am slowly remembering to make part of my teaching is the turn and talk.  Even when I plan out a lesson with specific places to include a turn and talk, I forget.  My CT tells me that it isn't even important that they talk about the lesson -- kids just need a chance to be talking every few minutes in order to get the wiggles out.  I've started making my self larger reminders, but it does work well, so hopefully I will just internalize it with time..

No comments:

Post a Comment